Landon's B-day

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Kaylee's B-day

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Our Visitors

Background

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Reflux....

The word reflux is something that I am used to hearing Wes talk about. He has dealt with it for a long time. I never understood what Wes was talking about until I got pregnant with Landon, and even more so with Kaylee. Unfortunately, I feel like it is now a word that I use daily. At Kaylee's one week appointment Dr. Sheth saw that her throat was really red, which combined with the wheezing when I put her down after a bottle, Dr. Sheth said it could possibly be reflux. She gave me a pamphlet on reflux and told us to watch out for other signs. Needless to say as I read about it I realized that Kaylee had more symptoms than I thought...wheezing, sneezing, wanting to be held up after a bottle, crying, crunching up legs, gagging, and acting like she has a bad taste in her mouth.

After realizing all of these signs and listening to the advice from A LOT of friends we made some significant changes.

1. From regular Similac to Similac Soy formula

2. From Avent bottles to Dr. Brown's bottles

3. Maalox with 4 bottles

4. Zantac with 2 bottles

I never thought that a poor little baby would have to deal with something like this. I feel bad as a mom knowing that there is nothing I can do for her, but continue to talk to the Dr. to make sure that I am doing everything that I possibly can to keep her reflux to a minimum.

She has had a couple of rough days. I don't know if it is just the fact that her routine was interrupted by traveling or her reflux was just hurting, but the Dr. upped her Zantac dosage. We are praying that this works.

Last night as I looked back on pictures of Landon at this age and there was a picture of him screaming. I took it to prove to people that he wasn't so innocent and precious all the time. I remember that night SO well. Wes was gone, my mom, Aunt Carolyn, and Grandma Daniel had just left after a long weekend too. I think Landon was exhausted and had been held a lot. Needless to say we both just cried together until he gave up. This is EXACTLY what Kaylee and I did last night. We cried together and she gave up. I think I was more upset that I wasn't able to spend time with Landon. That is the hard part with Wes being gone. After Kaylee gave up I hugged Landon and told him that I was sorry that Kaylee was upset and I didn't get to play as much with him. I told him that he did that when he was Kaylee's age and that he grew out of it. I promised him that Kaylee would grow out of it too. He looked at me and said, "Mommy, why do you say sorry? It is not your fault. I love you and Kaylee even when she cries." That made me cry even more. How is it that I am so blessed with such a precious and understanding child. I decided last night that I just have to take one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment